Seek happiness for its own sake, and you will not find it; seek it for duty, and happiness will follow as the shadow comes with sunshine. — TRYON EDWARDS
Success, we know, is an ingredient necessary for happiness but we also know that it is not enough in itself and does not bring peace of mind along with it if it has not been obtained right. At the same time we also know that it is not possible for an unsuccessful man to feel truly happy for long if he feels like a failure within. But success obtained at the cost of everything else is expensive too. And, as is the case with every overpaid thing, the realization of having overpaid makes us feel cheated; it robs us of the satisfaction of having it at all. It can only bring pain, not happiness. It is the riches of the mind that have the power to make us happy.
BERTRAND RUSSELL has said, ‘Success can only be one ingredient in happiness, and is too dearly purchased if all other ingredients have been sacrificed to obtain it.
True and fulfilling happiness can result only when our work and achievements are in accordance with our value systems and the meaning we have given to our lives. This is what plays an important role in our inner sense of fulfillment and peace within. We have to be clear about what we want in life and what it will take to achieve it, what kind of effort we are prepared to put in, and what compromises we are prepared to make that will not make us feel guilty or cheated later in life.
To be truly happy, we have to be honest with our intentions and actions from the bottom of our heart. When we know that we have nothing to hide and nothing to justify, it brings us a sense of real peace that is necessary for true happiness. And this is always possible. We can, and should, always work according to the dictates of our conscience. It gives us courage, and a straightforward disposition.
True happiness needs a solid base and an honest and harmonious character. It needs us to be independent, courageous and cooperative. We have to look after our own needs and also the needs of other people around us, and the people we care for. It is easy to be happy provided we seek happiness the right way. We cannot fool ourselves into feeling happy; we have to work for it and we have to work right. And we have to work ourselves; there are no short cuts and no bypasses.
Happiness can be built only on virtue and must have truth for its foundation. — COLERIDGE
A little training of the mind in the right direction can yield the desired results. There is no reason why we all cannot be happy.
Just keep these points in mind and see your world change.
1. Happiness is always attainable but it needs right thinking and right attitude.
2. If you run after happiness you will not find it, but when you deserve it right, you find it with ease.
3. Happiness is an inner realization and, as such, it cannot be achieved through forces outside of you. You have to work in harmony with your inner self.
4. It is easy to be happy but it needs hard work and a solid base. You need to be independent, cooperative, courageous, compassionate and caring, honest and straight forward. And above all, you need to be a genuinely good person.
5. And remember, no wrong deed, however camouflaged it may be, can give you a sense of peace and fulfillment for long. Always adhere to your values and your conscience, and be happy.